Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Dream a little dream

I had a dream about a month ago that I should have written about at the time, of course, but I'm going to try to remember it now.

It began (do dreams really have a beginning?) in some cityscape, in something like an elevator or turnstile. There was a group of us being asked to follow the path down to ....? We did this, and it became increasingly difficult going as the path kept getting narrower and crookeder. The pathway included stairs and hobbit holes and all manner of passages that kept getting smaller to the point that I was physically sure I couldn't fit through but then found myself in another passageway.

(This is not an uncommon theme, closed spaces, entrapment and claustrophobia).

Finally I was in something like a stadium, but one that was suspended in space, but I knew it to be underground. There were many levels, some of them having grassy areas. There were lots of people there, and I understood we were all trapped, while another population of people lived up on the surface.

I slowly realized those of us who were trapped were imperfect in some way. Some were not terribly good-looking, or somewhat fat or somewhat old. To my eyes, nobody was ugly, but I got the impression that we or someone else thought us to be less than "ideal."

I overheard someone tell a youngster that they would eventually be allowed to go up to the surface, once they became an adult. I intuited that comment to mean that the young person had not yet matured into what the surface population considered ideal. I then figured out that I could have an effect on whether I thought I was good enough or not to live on the surface.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty deep, huh?

No comments: